Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For many people, their first time experiencing independence is when they travel to another country for study.


However, if you don't travel alone, you may be thinking: "Is it possible to bring my family to Spain if I have a student visa?"

In general, If you want to be with your family while you continue your studies, Spain will not stop you.

If you want to bring your family to Spain while you study, the good news is that you can!

But there are some limitations, so let's analyse them in a little more detail.


What should I do to bring my family to Spain if I have a student visa?

Let's take a quick look at what a student visa offers. Student visas entitle their holders to come to Spain for study for 90 days or more.

To do this, your studies must be full-time (minimum 20 hours a week) in a school, training center or accredited scientific institution.

They also cover people who are doing certain types of internships, voluntary services, teaching and au pair programs.

So, the first thing you should check before starting is your own eligibility. You don't want to waste time or money applying for the wrong visa!


The next thing you should keep in mind is that applying for a student visa you have only an option to bring your family together with you when you're moving to Spain. This means that you can bring your spouse or civil partner; and you can also bring children who are considered minors. In Spain, this means children under the age of 18.


If you have a son or daughter over eighteen years old with a disability that prevents him or her from living on her own, you can also bring her.


Is there a family visa for Spain?

There is no "family sight" as such.

There is no way to apply for a single visa for everyone if you travel to Spain to study. I'm sorry!

But once you have verified that you qualify to study in Spain, you will be ready to start with other procedures. You will have to apply for a visa for each family member who accompanies you.

And, just to be clear, minors are also expected to have their own visa.


How do I make sure that my family's visas for Spain are legal?

Have you already provided all the documentation that is required?

Those include:

Official application form

Valid passport

A passport-type photograph

A validated medical certificate

Public or Private Health Insurance

Proof of your acceptance in your curriculum

Criminal record verification certificate

Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family without having to work

If you already have all of the above, and your visa has been granted, then you are legally authorised to stay in Spain for the duration of your studies.


Your spouse and children will not need all these documents from above, but they will need quite a few.

It is best to check with your visa office for up-to-date details on what documents you and your family will need.


What other things do I need to know about my family's visas for Spain?

This has been just a brief answer to the question of whether it is possible to bring your family to Spain with a student visa.

Check the official channels for specific details according to your nationality and specific situation.


However, there are a couple of key things to keep in mind for your family to move to Spain with you legally.

If your studies last more than 6 months, you and your family will have to apply for the Foreigner Identification Card (TIE). And you will have to do this quite quickly.


You must make sure to apply for the TIE within 1 month of your arrival in Spain.


This may seem like a short time to do this type of paperwork, but once done, you can relax.

If you have a student visa and bring your family to Spain with it, remember that the visa will cover you as long as your studies last (up to one year).


Are your studies going to last more than a year? Then you and your family will have to apply for visa extensions 60 days before your previous visas are expired.


Bringing your family to Spain will require some paperwork and paperwork, but no unusual documents that you can't easily get in your country of origin.


And don't forget that, by getting visas so that your whole family can go to Spain, you will be opening up a new horizon of possibilities for them.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...