Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Certificado de Empadronamiento (Census Certificate).


Everyone living in Spain (with the exception of tourists, they are registered in hotels) must register with the municipal authorities of their locality, as a rule, at their place of residence. People illegally residing in Spain can also register, which gives them the right to access the health care system. A certificate of registration, more like an extract from a house register, can be obtained from municipal authorities. Registration at the place of residence is issued in the city hall building. When you register as a resident of a locality, you are entered on a list - the so-called padrón - and you are issued a certificado de empadronamiento. The registration process is simple and free of charge.


Basically Empadronamiento is a registration at the place of your residence, is a very important formality. Having decided on the place of residence, renting an apartment or a room, or settling with friends, for registration, you should come to the appropriate department of the City Hall (Ayuntamiento) and fill out an Application for a residence permit (Formulario de Alta), individual or collective, indicating the composition of the family.


Volante or Certificado de Empadronamiento can be obtained from the municipal department dealing with registrations, which may be needed for:


• Applications for a residence and work permit.

• Getting a social security number.

• Enrollment of children in preschools and schools.

• Vehicle registration

• Getting a driver's licence.

• Spanish citizenship.


and in many other cases when you interact with Government authorities for getting personal documents and they need to confirm your current address of residency.


The registration (empadronamiento), even if it has not changed, must be renewed every two years. If this is not done in a timely manner, it can be cancelled. For the extension, you need a personal appearance at the town hall with identification documents.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

As a holiday home owner in Benalmadena, I visit Spain around 5 times a year without exceeding my 90 day limit. Every year, I submit my Form 210 and pay the applicable tax. I have not registered on the "padron" yet due to my lack of frequent presence, however, I've heard that non-resident property owners should be listed on it. Could someone clarify the official position regarding this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MarkInt it is officially required if you stay for longer than 3 months. It has nothing to do with the tax as you fiscal address and your registration address are two different things. You can learn more about the difference in fiscal and registration addresses.

  • Like 1

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...