How to get Foreigner Identification Number (NIE) in Spain?

The post is under preparation

First things first, request your NIE (Foreigner Identification Number). You will need this document to do anything that has to do with official procedures, whether it is renting properties, such as getting a job, registering for public services and paying taxes.

There are three ways to apply for your NIE. You can either do it physically once you arrive in the country, or request it at the Spanish Embassy of your country or through an authorized contact with legal powers that you can hire to request it in Spain on your behalf. If you decide to do it personally in Spain, you must contact the local police to get instructions on how to do it. And if you need extra help, you can find the list of the necessary documents, tips and links to access the NIE application]. Here is an application form EX-15 for requesting NIE

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Jenni, there are a few things related to the topic of NIE number for kids (younger than 18 years old).

First of all, as a general rule for any nationals, independently of EU / non-EU, who settle in Spain for more than 3 months are obliged to register in the foreigners' registry during the first 90 days of their arrival, thus obtaining a certificate of Citizen Registration of the European Union and the NIE.

Secondly, if the child is non-EU citizen and requests residency permit in Spain (to be correct here: parents requesting it on his / her behalf), the NIE number will be automatically assigned in a moment of granting the residency visa.

Lastly, if you come to Spain with any type of tourist visa (physical or electronic, whatever), and apply for the residency, see the point number 2.

Another need for a NIE number for a kid will occur if you want to buy a property on his / her name.

The important thing here that the parents / tutors represent their child in all the situations - if you go to Police Offices (a complete list of the offices for requesting NIE) to request NIE or if you go to a notary to do any action and etc...

• Like 1

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I've been asked to obtain a NIE as I'm working remotely from another EU country for a Spanish company. I possess a NIN but not a NIE, and I'm currently unable to obtain a residential NIE from the embassy or travel to Spain. Are you aware of any reliable and cost-effective firms that can help me obtain an NIE?

Just now, Givi said:

I've been asked to obtain a NIE as I'm working remotely from another EU country for a Spanish company.

I would recommend you to make it in the Spanish consulate of the country where you are residing. It is the most cost-efficient way of doing it. You need EX-15 form filled in, copy of all the pages of your passport and the form 790, code 12 and pay in cash 9,84 EUR or buy issuing a banking check to the name of the consulate.

• Like 2