The process of opening a bank account in Spain is quite simple.

Depending on the bank, your new account can be opened between a day and a week. The bank cards are usually send to your address or can be delivered to a bank branch of your choice within two weeks.

To open a bank account in Spain you will be asked for proof of identity; such as passport, Foreigner Identification Number (NIE), or Foreigner Identity Card (TIE); proof of address (volante de empadronamiento), and proof of resident status (for example, an employment contract or student document). It is very usual to ask for tax declaration from country of origin or current residence.

If you don't receive a regular salary, you will have to open an "Account without payroll", but the bank needs to know how you earn your income. When opening an account, many Spanish banks require that you have been contributing to Social Security for at least the previous 30 days.

Online banking and customer service in Spain

Most of these accounts are online and access to customer service is limited. Most of the operations such as transfers, bank certificates and extracts, as well as mortgages repayments, orders of new cards can be done online or using Bank App.

How to choose the best bank in Spain?

Here is the list of recommended banks. Choosing the best bank in Spain for you depends in part on the individual circumstances. In many cases it makes sense to open bank accounts in both online and classic bank because you will have better flexibility, you can check money transfer rates for example, or choose where to send money, or where to convert currencies depending on the rate.

It is essential that you know exactly what you need from your bank, that you understand all the information that is presented to you, and detect any "hidden rate" in advance.

If you do not speak Spanish fluently, you must make sure that you choose a Spanish bank that can offer you most of the information and services in your language.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Let me think about the needs or questions we would think about when choosing a bank in Spain:

1. Is having a chat with real people in a bank office important to me? Do I speak Spanish?

2. What features do I need from my bank? Only money transfers direct debits and bank cards?

3. Do I need saving account or / and investment account?

4. Do I need a pension plan?

5.  What other services would I possibly need from my bank?