Tourist visa in Spain - what are the exact rules of staying 90 days in 180 days?

MarkInt

Let's see, the rules is 90 days out of a rolling (every) 180 days. So if you're 90 in, you must be 90 out. Leaving and returning in 2 weeks doesn’t reset the time.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

My spouse and I have been considering spending anywhere from 6 months to a year in Spain. We found out that you can stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days, after which you must depart. Therefore, if we rent a location for six months or a year and leave Spain after 89 days to visit another Schengen country. .

What would be the evidence that we departed from Spain? Border crossing checkpoints between Schengen countries no longer issue passport stamps.

If we return to Spain, how much time must we spend outside the country before we can stay for 89 days again?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, after searching online, I'm still unable to find the answer I need. If anyone could provide me with some guidance, I would be very grateful.

If I establish residency in Spain, how much time am I allowed to spend outside the country?

Having acquired a home in Spain, I now have my non-resident NIE number. Thanks to my dual EU and British citizenship, I can easily obtain Spanish residency if I choose to, though I still plan on spending roughly half of the year in Northern Ireland. I want to maintain my home in Northern Ireland, as I am pensionable age and getting a small income from online sales in the UK.

I am considering residency in Spain to be able to stay there from October to March, but the 90/180 day rule prevents extended stays. Does the same thing take place in the UK? Are similar rules applicable to my time there?

• Like 1

@Groupy The 90/180 rule is applicable for non-EU citizens, therefore you can stay in Spain as long as you want. The only limit is a fiscal (tax) residency, if you stay in the country for more than 183 days, formally you become a fiscal resident of this country - here you can find an experience dealing with this matter.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

I am a British national and have recently got a german citizenship. I am currently in the process of getting a German passport.

Please tell me how long I and my partner can stay in Spain and do we both have the same rights while visiting. We are both English citizens with UK passports.

• Like 1

Hey @Yapi before you get your German passport, you're non-EU citizen and can stay only for 90 days in every 180 days period. After you get the German passport - you can stay whatever time you want. Your partner would need to get a residency card in Germany for staying more than 90 days in EU area.