What are the best cities in Spain for living? Thinking about Valencia or Madrid - what is your opinion?

Spanier

I am considering relocating to Spain and have narrowed my choices down to Madrid and Valencia. Please share your experiences living in these and other cities, including the positives and negatives. Which regions of Spain would you recommend living in, and what are the distinctions between them?

I'd like a city with access to cultural life (museums, concerts, social dances, etc.), services and public transport, warm weather, close access to the sea and nature, an IT community of some size, and no massive tourist crowds.

Having the freedom to choose where I work remotely, I'm prepared to learn Spanish and any local languages, if necessary.

Huh, they are very different - Valencia is in front of the city, more relaxed city for living to my taste, but has less opportunities than the capital - which is big, with much more money, businesses, entrepreneurs. Costs of living in Madrid are higher than Valencia, but the salaries are higher too.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

It depends on whether you prefer a big city lifestyle or a more relaxed seaside atmosphere. I've resided in Valencia for the past four years. It's quite laid back and relaxed. It's a great place for students, with good nightlife and lower costs than Madrid. In Madrid, you can find anything you need with its big city atmosphere.

Both locations are great for dancing salsa and bachata. The locals of Valencia are not very ambitious. Valencia is home to many expats and digital nomads, whereas Madrid is a great place for those seeking an entrepreneurial lifestyle.

This is probably more for tourists, but can give you some inspirations.

Spain is a country full of culture, history, and beauty. From the vibrant capital of Madrid to the stunning beaches of the Costa del Sol, Spain has something for everyone. But with so many cities to choose from, it can be hard to decide which ones are the best. Here are some of the best cities in Spain and why they should be on your list:

Madrid – Madrid is the capital city of Spain and is filled with beautiful architecture, amazing museums, and plenty of restaurants and bars to explore. It’s also home to some of the best art galleries in Europe such as the Prado Museum and Reina Sofia Museum.

Barcelona: This vibrant city is home to world-famous attractions such as La Sagrada Familia and Park Güell, as well as some of the best nightlife in Europe. With its unique mix of art, architecture, culture and cuisine, Barcelona is a must-visit destination for any traveler.

Seville – Seville is one of the oldest cities in Spain and has a unique charm that makes it stand out from other cities. The city is known for its stunning architecture, vibrant culture, delicious food, and passionate flamenco music.

Valencia – Valencia is a coastal city located on the Mediterranean Sea that offers visitors an array of attractions such as its City of Arts & Sciences complex, beautiful beaches, and incredible nightlife. The city also hosts some of Spain’s most popular festivals including Las Fallas in March.

Granada – Granada is a mountain city located in southern Spain that offers visitors stunning views of the Sierra Nevada mountains as well as a variety of historic monuments like Alhambra Palace. The city also boasts fantastic tapas bars where you can sample traditional Spanish cuisine.

San Sebastian – San Sebastian is a beautiful coastal city located in the Basque Country of Spain. It is known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and delicious cuisine. San Sebastian has been named one of the best cities to visit in Europe by many publications and it is easy to see why. The city has a rich cultural history, with a variety of museums and galleries that showcase art from all over the world. San Sebastian also offers visitors plenty of outdoor activities such as surfing, kayaking, and hiking. The city’s restaurants are renowned for their seafood dishes, while its bars and clubs provide an exciting nightlife experience. With its stunning scenery and lively atmosphere, San Sebastian is an ideal destination for any traveler looking for a great time in Spain.

more about Spanish cities

Salamanca – Salamanca is a city in western Spain with a rich history and culture. It is home to some of the oldest universities in Europe, as well as stunning architecture like the Plaza Mayor and the University of Salamanca. The city also offers visitors a variety of restaurants, bars, and shops to explore.

Bilbao – Bilbao is located in northern Spain and is known for its modern architecture, such as the iconic Guggenheim Museum. The city also has plenty of attractions such as its old town area and its lively nightlife scene. Bilbao is an ideal destination for anyone looking for a unique experience in Spain.

Toledo – Toledo is an ancient city located south of Madrid that has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It is one of the oldest cities in Spain, having been founded by the Romans in 192 BC. Toledo has been an important cultural center in Spain for centuries, and it is home to some of the country’s most impressive architecture and monuments. The city's old town is filled with winding streets, picturesque plazas, and stunning churches like the Cathedral of Toledo and San Juan de los Reyes. Visitors can also explore the Alcazar fortress, wander through the Jewish Quarter, or take a boat trip along the Tagus River. With its rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning scenery, Toledo is definitely one of the best cities to visit in Spain.

From the stunning architecture of Granada to the vibrant nightlife of Barcelona, Spain is full of incredible cities that offer something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an adventure-filled holiday, there’s a Spanish city that will suit your needs. From the historic cities of Seville and Valencia to the modern metropolis of Madrid, Spain has something for everyone. And with its beautiful beaches, delicious cuisine, and unique culture, it’s no wonder why so many people flock to this amazing country every year. So if you’re planning a trip to Spain, make sure to check out these best cities in Spain and explore all they have to offer!

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.