Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The first things to get is a vocational rental license.

Securing a tourist rental license is necessary if you're looking to begin a profitable vacation rental business. Renting a vacation home without a license is no longer an option due to the Spanish government's increased enforcement of this type of arrangement.


Moreover, their methods of enforcement have become more sophisticated than ever with tools such as Model 179 and tourist inspections to “hunt” down those who attempt to avoid regulation and lack the necessary permit for their rental property.

Despite this, vacation rental regulations in Spain can be confusing for those unfamiliar with the laws. Consequently, it can be challenging for homeowners to figure out how to obtain a license for a tourist accommodation. Many of those who would like to use their homes for tourist purposes are struggling with this issue.


We've created this article to explain all you need to know in order to secure a license for your vacation rental. Continue reading to discover more.


The Administration will issue a rental license or tourist rental permit to the owner of a property, giving them permission to use it for vacation accommodation.


Autonomous communities are the regulatory authorities that have power over vacation rental licenses in Spain. Municipalities also have the ability to regulate in this area. This phenomenon is particularly common in the areas that attract the most tourists in our country.


What are the qualifications necessary to obtain a vacation rental permit?

In order to obtain a vacation rental license in Spain, the necessary qualifications depend on the autonomous community and municipality in which you have the property.


To make it easier for the vacation rental owners, Lodgify has created a range of guides for registering their property in places like Andalusia, Catalonia, the Canary Islands, the Valencian Community and Galicia. For more detailed information about obtaining a tourist license in one of these locations, we recommend clicking the associated link.


However, since the process is generally quite similar across Spain, this article will outline the three main requirements that must be met to acquire a tourist rental license anywhere in the country:


Let the authorities know and get registred

In order to obtain a license for a tourist apartment, you must first notify the local municipality of your intent to operate a short-term or holiday rental business. The responsible statement necessary for this includes:

Identification data of the house and its owner

Maximum capacity of the house for the guests to stay

Time period of operation of the accommodation

Type of management (owner or external manager)

Likewise, a series of documents must be attached to the responsible statement:

Proof of payment of fees (if any fees must be paid)

Certificate of occupancy or first / second occupancy license

Liability insurance (attention, it is valid for only in some Autonomous Communities)


Once all documents have been submitted, the local government will inform the Autonomous Tourism Registry, and they'll then assign you a registration number. Now guests can be welcomed at the property, although this may depend on the local regulations of the region.


The administration has a response timeframe ranging from two weeks to three months. The municipal use regulations for the area where the house is located, and the Community of Owners' statutes, if applicable, may impose limits or conditions on its usage.

We suggest that you visit the relevant city council and consult local and regional regulations regarding acquiring a rental license for apartments and tourist homes for more information.


Declare and inform about your activity

Once the license has been issued, you will need to file a report with the Tax Agency, even if you are not subject to paying the Economic Activities Tax (IAE).

The classification of your accommodation will depend on whether you offer accomodation services that are standard for the hotel industry.


If your answer is "yes," you will need to register it as "Extrahotel tourist accommodation" in IAE's group 685. Otherwise, you will need to register your business under Section 861.1 "Providing housing".


Ultimately, the best way to ensure legal security between tenants and landlords is to draw up a vacation rental contract every time a guest is welcomed into the home.


Comply with the existing regulations in order to avoid any fines

In order to keep the tourist rental license, the third and final requirement is to abide by the applicable regulations; in Spain, this would be those of the autonomous region. This regulation will determine the stipulations of the lease agreement in the area of the rental property, including both the landlord and tenant's rights and responsibilities.



  • Like 1

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Anderson changed the title to What is needed to rent my property for short-stay to the tourists?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...