Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have some questions to ask before I move to Malaga, Spain in May or June. I'll be bringing my 2016 Renault Master van over from Ireland. I'm wondering what steps I need to take in order to get Spanish license plates, and can I keep driving my car in Spain while waiting for the process to be completed?


Is it possible to get insured right away, and would I have to pay a lot due to being new to getting insured in Spain?

Can I start working on my cleaning business right away, or do I have to wait and get my NIE number first?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Yes, you can swap the plates from Irelandish to Spainish. Formally you can use your car on non-spanish plates for 60 days, because you're moving to Spain (if not, the limit is 30 days).


To change the plates, the first thing to do is to pass technical inspection, called ITV - The list of stations.

You need to bring the registration documents and In order to be approved for circulation in Spain, your vehicle must have the necessary accreditation and you must provide European Certificate of Conformity (CoC).


The Second  - the proof of payment/exemption/non-subscription of the Registration Tax must be presented through form 576, 06, or 05 of the State Tax Agency; in the case of Basque Country and Navarra, it should be presented to their respective Foral Treasury.

This tax is a one-time payment whose magnitude, with the exception of trailers, is dependent on the amount of CO2 emissions from the vehicle.

Proof of payment or exemption from the Circulation Tax due to City Hall for the place where you are domiciled.

An annual tax must be paid, the amount of which depends on the power of the vehicle.


If the car has not been registered in Spain previously, it should go through the registration process. Once the procedure is completed, you will receive a registration number for your vehicle, along with its circulation permit. Here is the link on the procedure in Spanish and requesting appointment for changing the plates after the steps 1 and 2 are done. Don't forget to sign up for insurance!


For start working, you do need the NIE on hands and then get register in Social Security services and in Tax Agency - Here is the link how to do it and here is how to register in the Tax Office.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...