Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I, a British citizen, will be marrying my Spanish partner next month. We are getting married in the UK and would like our marriage to be legally recognised by Spain.

Do we have to go to the Spanish consulate in Manchester with our wedding certificate and other necessary documents to complete the somewhat straightforward process, or do we need to do it in Spain? At present, we are in the UK but intend to move back to Spain in the spring. I have permanent residency, a National Insurance Number (NIE) and understand that I will need to obtain a Foreigner Identification Number (TIE). Thank you.

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Registration of a marriage celebrated abroad

Marriages of Spanish people held in a foreign country must be recognized by both the country of celebration and Spain for them to have full civil effects in Spain; thus, it must be registered in the Civil Registry of both places. The Consular Offices are responsible for registering marriages conducted within their jurisdiction. Parties with residences in Spain must make a request for registration to the Central Civil Registry of Madrid.


Who can apply for registration

No matter the nationality of either partner, either may request the registration of a marriage celebrated abroad.


The marriages between at least one Spanish national and another person can be registered with the Civil Registry of the Consulate General, whether they are civil or canonical. It's important to have both spouses at the appointment, and you'll need to bring the following documents:


The docs to prepare and present

  1. A Spanish sworn translator (Traductor Jurado) registered in Spain must translate and legalise (traduccion jurada), apostille (if it is necessary. Check if there is an agreement between country of your marriage and Spain for recognising Civil documents without an appostile), and translate a Marriage Certificate issued by the local foreign Civil Registry or Religious Marriage Certification.
  2. The literal birth certificate of a Spanish spouse that was issued by the Spanish Civil Registry must be provided for Spanish naturalized applicants.
  3. A birth certificate of the foreign spouse must be legally translated by an authorized Spanish sworn translator (Traductor Jurado) in Spain.
  4. Certificates of birth for common children (validated, legalized and translated into Spanish by an officially registered translator in Spain if these certificates are not issued in Spanish - if apostille is necessary. Check if there is an agreement between country of your marriage and Spain for recognising Civil documents without an appostille.
  5. Spanish partner's national identification card.
  6. passport and N.I.E. If foreign spouses have one, they should present their card.
  7. Joint registration for civil censuses.
  8. Completed and signed application (this is Mexican version as an example).


As a general rule, the documents are valid for 3 months, if there is no special agreement between the countries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...