Hello, Expats! I know questions like that could be asked, but I'll try to keep this brief.

As an EU citizen, I hope to relocate to Spain one day but I have heard discouraging stories related to renting an apartment and getting a job. I'm being realistic.

My questions are here:

What are the most reliable websites or agencies to find a place? The reason I'm asking - I see many scams and even websites like idealista look a bit weird.

Do all landlords typically require 6 months of advance rent? Are there any options available to pay a 3 month deposit?

In order to secure a rental property, do I need to have a job there or can I do some remote work?

Regrettably, my lack of Spanish proficiency means I should attempt to find employment prior to traveling there. I appreciate your help beforehand.

The rental depends on the region and provinces. In cities like Madrid and Barcelona, where the demand is high, it is more difficult to rent an apartment rather then in Toledo, or somewhere about 40 min - 1 hour away from the big city or from the coast line. Usually, landlords want to know a source of income to be sure that you will pay the rent and don't destroy the apartment. That's why the contract is needed as well as because many landlords apply for non-payment insurance called "seguro de impago" in Spanish and the insurance company asks for the employment contract.

Here are some ideas to try:

Agree to pay by quoter, so the landlord will be more protected. I have done so having an employment contract in the UK, but moved to Spain.

Give a deposit for 6 months upfront. Some said 12 months can be requested - I think it is too much. It's not the best choice, but it's an option.

Look for a guarantor who meets the requirements - if you have no one in Spain, it would be a challenge, but still possible.

Ask the bank for a Guarantee called "Aval" in Spanish, but it will keep the sum of 6 months pay in the bank and issues the guarantee letter. There is a small, but still cost involved (for a fee). That might be acceptable to the landlords.

There are insurance companies which admit foreign income and offer the coverage as well. If your landlord consents, this could be a viable choice.

Keep looking and locate landlords in Spain who don't require proof of income.

With patience and the right financial resources, you will eventually find what you seek.

Wish you the best of luck!

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.