Yes, there is a double taxation agreement between the United Kingdom and Spain. This agreement was signed in December 2011 and came into force on 1 January 2012. The agreement aims to prevent double taxation of income earned in either country by individuals or companies, as well as to provide for the exchange of information between tax authorities. It also provides for reduced withholding taxes on certain types of income such as dividends, interest, and royalties.

@Jenni simply moving money from one account to another is not taxable. But, there is a double taxation agreement signed between UK and Spain, so in general - I would say no, it wouldn't, but it is important to look into your personal situation in more details because income tax ranges in the UK and in Spain are different. 

I'm Spanish Adviser and you can ask me any question related to Spain. Our people speak 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 🇺🇦 🇷🇺.

Hello, I'm seeking some guidance concerning the registration process. My EU national boyfriend is considering relocating to Spain for 4-5 months which is over 90 days as he's currently on a UK contract. Does he require registration - and, if so, are there any tax implications (e.g. having to pay taxes in both Spain and the UK)? He wants to stay below 182 days in Spain so that he can remain a UK tax resident. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

@Yapi In the circumstances given, the taxes should be paid in the UK only as it is usually done. As a general rule he must register and get the certificate within 3 months from the date of entry to Spain. There is a trick, he can enter through any other EU country and stay in Spain without the registration, it brakes rules but can work if there is a difficulty with obtaining registration. I leave you a link on what is census certificate (padron) and how to make it.

Hello everyone! How's it going? Can you provide me with information about taxes?

As a freelance film maker, I can often be found working with teams in the UK from the comfort of my own laptop.

I'm considering applying for a Digital Nomad visa and I would like to know more about the taxation system. Do I not need to pay taxes in Spain if I am only working remotely for a business based in the UK?

Am I required to pay double taxation, both in the United Kingdom and Spain? It's definitely not worth it if that's the case since I'd be paying over 40% in taxes for two different countries. Do I have this correct, or is this not the case?

@MarkInt, if you are going to apply for Digital Normand visa you will have to pay taxes in Spain, it doesn't matter where you are earning your income. You do not need to pay taxes in the UK, you will invoice UK company as autonomo and will pay taxes in Spain based on your Digital Norman regime.  Check the details here.